Poetry

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Honey, Sweetheart...

**Disclaimer: I don't do drugs and I don't plan to. Metaphor.**

I’m an addict.

(That’s it, huh?)

I have a drug.

(That’s what we’re calling it these days?)

But I only use in my sleep.

(ha!)

That’s ok right?

(sure, of course, certainly)

If it happens in my dreams

(silly girl)

It’s not real.

(“real,” nice try)

But man, I have to confess,

(confess)

It’s starting to spill over.

(you have more to confess than that)

It’s starting to happen

(continuing)

During the day,

(the safe place)

Daydreams?

(euphemism?)

Maybe.

(maybe.)

But wait!

Quiet!

My daydreams

I can control those.

So that means

I am making the choice

I am taking that drug

Because I want to

Because I love it

It feels so good,

I tell you, if you only knew!

This drug

Must not actually exist

If it was real

It could never be this good

Or could it?

I think that’s the question

The one that keeps me hooked

Could it exist?

Somewhere?

When I wake up nowadays

I’m still high

And I want more.

It’s affecting me

The side effects,

I still haven’t

Experienced them all yet.

And I am afraid to.

But I just can’t shake you.

You, this drug

You, dirty, cheap

And dangerous,

I want to send you away,

Kick you out of my house.

But before you go,

(No don’t go)

I have to know

(I have a secret)

Are you here for a

(I don’t want to let you go)

Reason? Meaning? A Clue!

(Just stay a little longer)

Are you trying to tell me something?

(She thinks she’s letting go)

I’ll listen.

I want to listen.

Tell me.

I give in.

I give up.

I will wait for the answer.

(honey…)

(sweetheart,)

(desperate fool)

(it’s never going to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment